Saturday, December 5, 2009

Tough Decisions

This week we made a difficult decision. We decided to remove 26 deformed alevin from the tank. Last year when Mr. Hart recommended we remove the deformed fish, I resisted. I did not feel right deciding that certain fish would not make it to our release. I realized that fish would die, but I did not want to decide which ones would die and when. Eventually, the fish died anyway. We subsequently had some difficulty with a spike in ph. When Mr. Hart made the same recommendation this year, I agreed it may prevent the spike in ph which could be fatal to the 261 fish that are not deformed. We decided to show the students the fish deformities and discuss the importance of protecting our stream's water quality to prevent these deformities from occurring. We put the deformed fish on our school garden to help enrich the soil.


12-2-09 Nathan: I love taking care of the trout. It is awesome.

12-3-09 Nathan: The trout are awesome. They had a big Thanksgiving. They are fat now.

12-3-09 Chase Brown: Fish died but there are still many left, about the same amount will still
live like last year.

12-4-09 Gaige Kachel:
My Trout Poem:
Trout are awesome
Trout are cool
One day they might swim in my pool.

12-4-09 Mrs. Kint:
The trout are tiny, the tank is big.
If you mess up, Mrs. Winey will wig!

12-4-09 Lauren Vawn:
The trout are little the trout are tan.
I can't wait til they're in my frying pan.

12-5-09 Mrs. Winey:
Just in case Mrs. Kint made you wonder,
Mrs. Winey will forgive a little blunder.
So "Trout Crew" do not despair
regarding Mrs. Kint's reference to hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment