Wednesday, November 7, 2012

And the fun begins...2012

What an exciting day! We received our shipment of brook trout eggs yesterday while I was at a conference. Naturally, I could not wait to get back to the school to make sure they made it safely into our tank that has been patiently awaiting their arrival since the first day of school!

After the tedious process of separating the living and nonliving eggs, I placed 273 eggs into the tank. We have had approximately 10 hatch into alevin already. I removed 5 that did not make the adjustment to the new environment. I had two reliable helpers (Valerie and Karter) place them under our flower garden in front of the school to enrich the soil. We have been learning about how plants and animals provide needs for each other in our science lessons. What a perfect way to make these lessons come to life!

One little boy in my class raised his hand today and said, I just can't wait to see what we are going to do next. We do so many fun things! I hope not to disappoint... days like these really motivate me to find new ways to get the students excited about learning.

From past experience, I know that it will not be all smooth sailing. Check back to see what adventures we get into as we attempt to raise brook trout once again at Lack Tuscarora Elementary!

No comments:

Post a Comment