Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Let the Eggcitement Begin!


The trout eggs arrived at Lack Tuscarora Elementary today! We received a shipment of 230 eggs some of which hatched while I was sorting them. There were 37 dead eggs and 3 dead alevin. This year was a first... there was one egg that was completely red...I counted it in the dead count. I tucked 190 safely in the tank before leaving for the night.  Below you will see the box the eggs are shipped in...it may not look like much, but it sure made me smile when I saw it knowing the fun that is contained inside.  First order of business is to acclimate the eggs to the tank temp...the shipping box temp was 50.4 and my tank temp was 48.9 so this did not take too long... then begins the process of counting and separating living from nonliving eggs as each year there are some that die through the shipment journey.
        
Shipping box and separating tools...   
        
Watch a video of how the eggs are sorted...
 
              Living and nonliving eggs...




eggs and alevin tucked ...snug as a bug in a rug!

No comments:

Post a Comment