Monday, October 29, 2018

Trout in School...Still Cool!





     Ten years ago, I remember the feeling of butterflies in the pit of my stomach as we awaited the arrival of our very first shipment of Brook Trout eggs. I knew very little about Trout and even less about how difficult it is to raise them in an aquarium.  We were the first school in Mifflin and Juniata County to participate in the Trout in the Classroom program so my father-in-law and Penns Creek Trout Unlimited walked hand in hand with us through the journey that continues today...raising Brook Trout through Trout in the Classroom.
 
     The students' excitement for the program helped to ease my nerves and soon became the fuel to ignite a passion I never expected. This passion keeps me trying to defy the odds each year. It seems fitting that this year as we celebrate 10 years of Trout in the Classroom, we will be closing our little school and consolidating requiring us to move over the Christmas break into Juniata Elementary School.
 
     Just another opportunity to once again rise to the challenge and conquer the odds of survival as we attempt to keep enough trout alive to release on May 11, 2018! Hoping not to let these beautiful faces down! May the odds be ever in our favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment