Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mrs. Winey! Are the trout here yet?

On Tuesday November 5, 2013 I answered this question over 200 times throughout the day. In an attempt to make the arrival of our trout eggs a teachable moment, I thought we would incorporate a lesson on how punctuation helps us understand how to read with expression. I intended to introduce the  question mark and the exclamation mark and place a sign on the trout tank letting the whole school know that our trout eggs had indeed arrived. The students colored the words and the punctuation marks  for the

sign in groups. Then we place the words and punctuation marks in order to make the sentence and response,
Mrs. Winey! Are the trout here yet? Yes!

We discussed how the exclamation marks help the readers know we are excited and the question mark indicates asking a question. One of my students raised his hand and said he thought the question mark should go after my name  because they are asking me and the exclamation point after are the trout here yet because they are excited and want to know now.
Because the students often call my name in an
asking tone, I decided to go with it even if it
is not completely grammatically correct and teach them that the punctuation marks can change the way a sentence is read. We practiced reading it both ways and the students decided they wanted the question mark after my name and the exclamation mark to show they were excited. It definitely was a better expression of  how we wanted the sentence to be read. I did tell the students that to be grammatically correct we should use the question mark after are the trout here yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment